Friday, February 22, 2013
The Great Scale Debate
It's so easy to get caught up in the numbers on the scales. Especially when you are morbidly obese, like myself, and the scales seem to be the true indication of how well you are doing.
This week, as mentioned in a previous post, has been extremely frustrating with a 300gm loss on Wednesday. Since Wednesday, the scales have been headed in the wrong direction - UP!!!! There is the old advice of not to weigh yourself every day, but I like to cause it keeps me on track. Although it probably would be good NOT to in this instance as I wouldn't be so annoyed with the scales!!! I can feel the difference in my clothes after 2 weeks, and I can also notice the difference when I stand in front of them mirror, but to not see that reflected in the numbers is down right pissing me off!!!
The two things I have changed in the last couple of weeks is that I am exercising for longer. I never worried about the calories burnt in the past, but now I'm making an effort to get my 500cals per day, no matter how long it takes! I am also exercising more consistently, making sure I workout every day, whereas in the past if I was too busy, I didn't bother with it, so sometimes had 2 or 3 rest days in a week. I have also increased my water intake, doubling & sometimes even tripling what I usually drink in water & green tea. Is it really is my body going into shock? Is it just taking stock of what's going on and the losses will start soon? I have no idea. It is just so bloody frustrating, but I will just keep pushing on with it.
The 12wbt weekly prize this week is for people to nominate a blog they read. I was absolutely stoked to be nominated a couple of times!! I'm a winner already there! But it's times like that where I realise "Shit, people actually read the crap I write!!" People actually KNOW how much I weigh! How many chocolate cookies I scoffed the other morning when I threw a toddler's tantrum after weigh in! And after the wave of embarrassment has passed me, I thought about all the wonderful blogs I love to read, and how inspired I am by them. So if I can inspire just one person to make a change to their life for the better, then that's awesome and I am happy to share my ups & embarrassing downs with them!!
Onwards & downwards on those bloody scales or else......
P.S. Are you a weekly or daily weigher? Would love to know!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

>

Hi Jules,
ReplyDeleteI weigh every day too and my scales too are heading the wrong way.
If you are exercising more and building muscle, just remember your body yay be retaining more fluid to help repair and build muscle.....at least that's my thoughts about me.
Good luck with next week
Karen
Hi Jules,
ReplyDeleteI weigh every day too and my scales too are heading the wrong way.
If you are exercising more and building muscle, just remember your body yay be retaining more fluid to help repair and build muscle.....at least that's my thoughts about me.
Good luck with next week
Karen
Hi Jules,
ReplyDeleteI will admit to weighing in once in between offical weigh ins last week. I had been away for the weekend and was interested to see what damage had been done! My weight stayed exactly the same which I was OK with as sometimes maintaining is just as good as losing I think!
I had a PT session this morning and was reminded that muscle weighs more than fat so if you have been doing some strength base training then perhaps your muscles are getting leaner which will make you weigh more (sadly) My trainer told me to focus on the measurements, so perhaps do your measurements again and see if there are differences there as that it where you will notice it more than on the scales... Hope that advice helps although am sure you have probably heard it before! Still with it and all will be good!!!
Good luck!
I confess, I'm a daily weigher too and find it keeps me on track. If I have a day where I eat too much or the wrong thing it's refected straight away on the scales and that kicks me into gear again.
ReplyDeleteAbout the exercise...I have a bit of a different opinion. As Mish says, it's 80% about the diet so I focus on that and do enough exercise to be healthy and feel good (I particularly like her toning days) but I don't find that 6 days per week of structured exercise makes me lose anymore weight than 3 days. It just tires me out and kicks my appetite up a notch which then makes it hard to stick with the eating plan. For me 3 days is enough to feel my strength and fitness increasing (I walk on the other days) and yet not feel like I'm always working out. The results are still really great.
Everyone is different though so it's trial and error to find what works best for you. But as long as you're exercising I think you can't go wrong and the scales will catch up.
Ros
PS I love your blog too!
You are inspiring with or without a blog xx
ReplyDeleteHey Jules,
ReplyDeleteI am a daily weigher also frustrated with the numbers I see. Sadly, I have been trying to lose my last 5 kilos for over a year with nothing to show for it.
But 2 weeks ago, I got the advice of a friend and completed a full wellness profile. It showed me that I was within a normal BMI (which I knew) but on the inside, it was very different. He showed me using a flash set of scales that I could track my bone weight (which shouldn't change) muscles weight, % fat and water. Then it tells me how many calories I can eat to maintain that. And then my BIO age. I was 41. Not what you want when you are 38. Mello was 32 with his BIO age - he is 46!!!!!
So I started a whole new diet & exercise plan. And now, 2 weeks later, I have only lost 2 kilos, but I have lost 20cms mainly from my hips and waist, but the best thing I have seen is that my actual body fat is decreasing. The scales just spit out a weight ... and on Saturday I had a gain and it was all water!!!
So maybe, have a look at all those other numbers each day. Soon you won't be concerned with the kilos, but impressed by the water increase, muscle increase and body fat decrease.
You are inspirational, and reading your ups and downs shows just how bloody hard you are working at your goals. I know you are proud of yourself, I know Greg is proud of you ... and every single person who knows you is proud of what you have done!!!! Don't let the nasty scales bring you down :)