Tuesday, February 26, 2013

MS Melbourne Cycle

On Sunday, I took part in the MS Melbourne Cycle 50km ride over the Westgate Bridge.  It was a beautiful sunny morning on Sunday, with perfect conditions for riding.  Greg and I did the ride, and were supposed to be joined by Dayna, but she hurt her knee in the fun run with Greg earlier in the week, so another 12wbt training friend, Nicole, took Dayna's place.
The Westgate Bridge

The first 8 or so kilometres were slow going getting through the city.  Bunched up riding & traffic lights  making the pace slow & frustrating.  Finally we hit Port Melbourne & ascended the Westgate Bridge.  I had ridden over it about 20 years ago & remember it to be tough going.  However, this time I was able to ride up the bridge with ease, be it with a lot of huffing & puffing!  The route took us through Altona, Williamstown, Flemington & back into the city.  It was an amazingly fun ride, and was awesome to ride over the finish line with Greg & Nicole.  However, after the finish we still had another 7km ride back to car which was left at the starting point of the ride - why they had the start & finish at two different locations is beyond me!!?!?!

Ready to start the long ride
My post from the other day was about our cycling Team Fighting Back breaking up.  Fortunately my tantrum had some effect and made us all take stock of what is important to us and I am so pleased that we've decided to all stay as the one team, and keep Fighting Back to make a difference to cancer research and Peter Mac.  Lots of tears were shed over the whole thing (yes by me!) and all I can say is that I am a very proud & happy member and can't wait to kick the fundraising into gear!

Ready, set, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment