Sunday, July 08, 2012

A Mini Mindset Breakthrough


We decided to enjoy a few wines last night.  So much for my Dry July!!!  It's not something that we will regularly do, but it was treat night, and we still had spare calories, so we thought we'd share a few wines.   After working 8 1/2 hours yesterday, I relaxed in the bath once the kids were in bed & just really felt like a wine!

I must say, the first mouthful tasted like absolute shite!  How did I become unaccustomed to drinking wine so quickly?!?!?!  Anyway, by the middle of the second glass of wine, a feeling of utter starvation came over me.  I was like a wild beast!!!  I scoured the cupboards and retreated back to the couch with a few VitaWheat crackers.  Yep, that gave me the crunch that potato chips usually would, with minimal calories.  BUT I wasn't satisfied.  I settled for a Skinny Cow toffee ice-cream.  Only just over 100 calories & my usual treat on a Saturday night.  BUT I still wasn't satisfied!!

Now earlier in the day, my parents had called in armed with a box of chocolates & a box of rocky road.  I nearly died when I got home from work & saw them sitting on the kitchen bench!  I immediately opened the chocolates & let the kids loose on them.  The rocky road I put in the cupboard for another day.

Well, I sat on the couch with my wine, having eaten the crackers & ice cream, and I think I must have wrestled in my mind for about an hour the fact that I wanted to eat that rocky road.  I even picked up the box to look at the calories - 7 serves in the box at 500 calories per serve!!!!!  WTF!!!!  But in my head, I was justifying that I could still eat a serve.  Or perhaps I should eat the whole box & make myself so sick that I would never be tempted again!!!!  I think if hubby hadn't been there with me, and been my voice of reason I would have eaten it.  Instead I had a Freddo Frog.

A while later, I drank a bottle of water, and went to bed.  It wasn't until then that I realised I wasn't hungry at all.  There is something that wine does to me, that makes me think I am famished & need to eat.  It is always like this!  It always has been like this!  And it is the reason I gained 20kgs over the last year.

I remember reading an article that Jillian Michaels (from the American Biggest Loser) wrote in one of her newsletters last year.  It was about something in alcohol that triggers this need in females to have to eat.  Have googled to try & find the article to post on here, but can't locate it.  I did find this interesting video though......

Alcohol is the devil for belly fat from jillian michaels

Anyway, just felt like I had a breakthrough last night & wanted to share.  Just another reason I am glad to be off the wine & it reinforces what a great job I am doing with the 12wbt.   As for the rocky road, we are visiting family today & I will be taking it with us, and leaving it there!!!!

Some of the meals I've had this week.....

Buttermilk pancakes with fresh fruit salad & yoghurt.
Home made fruit salad & yoghurt.  YUM!




















Still loving all the recipes we are supplied with on the 12wbt.  Delicious choices we are given. This week's menu is definitely Asian themed - YUM!!!  Can't wait to try out some of the new recipes!

The sad & sorry salad I had at Maccas the other day.  Only 40 or so calories, but a poor excuse for a salad!
Whilst having lunch with the kids at McDonalds on Friday, and munching on the above sorrowful salad, my daughter asked me (whilst scoffing down a cheese burger!!!) if I missed eating McDonalds.  "Nope, not at all" I replied.  And it was true!  I don't miss eating that crap.  I like thinking of what I am putting into my body as fuel.

Beef fajita with capsicum & onion - delicious!!!!
And, my weight this morning... whoo hoooo... those scales just keep moving in the right direction!!!

1.5kgs gone this week already!  Yippee!

Onwards & downwards... BRING IT ON BIATCHES!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great work Jules! Those meals look yummy. I am planning to join the next 12 wbt, does the food take a lot of time to prepare?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ros, the food doesn't take any longer than any normal recipe you would follow. And it's great to have a cook up once a week so you can freeze stuff & be prepared for later. Good on you for joining up - you won't regret it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, that sounds good. I am ready to do the hard yards and see some results! It's great reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete