And I am absolutely shitting myself!I am not ready for it. I have not done enough training for it. And in these weeks leading up to it, I should be doing a hell of a lot of riding. But I don't want to. And it's not laziness or lack of willingness. It's only one thing that deters me.
MAGPIES!!!!
I have been dreading Spring for so long because of the swooping magpies, and the stories I've heard about kids losing eyes, and friends who have seen cyclists swooped so hard they are knocked off their bike, or cyclists riding by with blood pouring out their ear due to a peck from a nesting maggie. I cannot even express in words the fear this drives into me.
Only once have I been swooped by a magpie a few years ago and it is a terrifying experience. I didn't even see it, I only heard the swooshing of its wings & the shadow of it as I rode by on my bike, my little one safe in the bike trailer I was pulling. I was shaking so much I couldn't even ride!So as I prepare today to go out on a ride later this afternoon, I sit here already shitting myself about the inevitable magpie swoop. I know it will happen, and I am already feeling sick at the prospect of the bird knocking me from my bike or worse yet, drawing blood from an ear.
But I have to conquer this fear in order to keep training and I look forward to updating my blog in 3 weeks time to tell you of my achievement of conquering the 200km Ride to Conquer Cancer. It may take me longer than most to ride the route, but I will finish it. For all of those who are battling cancer, and for my Dad, I will finish it.
If you'd like to support me in my Ride to Conquer Cancer, benefiting Peter Mac, it is not too late to donate using the link below. Every dollar counts!!!
Donate to Julie's Ride to Conquer Cancer

>
Hey Julie
ReplyDeleteI heard a trick for this is to put eyes on the back of you helmet. As magpies will not swoop if the target is watching them.
Hope you session went well today...
YaY to training in Bali for the next week without Magpies :)