![]() |
| Greg and I at the starting line |
I didn't complete the Ride to Conqeur Cancer, but I gave it all I could. I did 140-150kms, and it took every bit of energy, every bit of mental strength I had. I am disappointed I can't say I completed it, but I am also proud of myself for how I gave it my all. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life!
Saturday morning 1800 riders gathered at Albert Park Lake. It was chilly & the rain started to drizzle on us. I had to keep stamping my feet to get blood flowing through them, as I was chilled to the bone. We were all so excited to be starting off on this ride we had been preparing for. We gathered as a team - Me, Greg, Jen, Bec, Nicola, Nicki, and 2 others who weren't in our team, but were friends of Bec's, Corrina, and Tracey. Having only just met Nicola, Nicki, Corrina & Tracey that morning (all friends of Bec's), let me just say I was honoured to meet four such lovely & gorgeous women!!
We started off, ever so slowly with the traffic, and the traffic lights making for slow going through the Melbourne CBD. My borrowed bike "Mince" with the spokey dokeys on it were well received by the other riders, and I received comments about them all weekend. Many remarked it took them back to their childhood, but everyone smiled or laughed about them, and I was so glad I was able to give that to riders throughout the weekend. Then on we went to the bike path along the Yarra River, and we were able to pick up a bit more speed. Here I saw the first accident with the slippery conditions the drizzle was causing on the path. The faster riders took off, and I caught up with the others in my team at the first Pit Stop at 27kms in Ivanhoe.
![]() |
| Team "Fighting Back" ready to ride |
Oh how wrong I was. Now, I was aware that apparently there was a monster hill after this Pit Stop, but nothing had prepared me for what was to come. The whole second half of the ride was hill after hill after hill. It was a killer. And I was shocked to see that even fit young male cyclists were walking up the hills as well. That afternoon, I renamed it "The WALK to Conquer Cancer". I would walk up a hill, get on the bike to ride down the other side, push myself as much as I could up the next hill, get off & walk it, and so on. Hill after hill after hill. It was crushing, but reassuring to see so many other riders doing the same thing. I was exhausted.
| Jen & I all smiles, about to head off |
I ate my lunch as quickly as I dared. My thighs had started to cramp and I stretched as much as I could to relieve the pain. I got back on the bike & struggled on. There were "sweep" vehicles who regularly went by to see if you needed assistance & a lift to the next stop, but I just gave them the thumbs up (the signal to tell them I was fine) and pushed on. It wasn't much later when my vision started to blur & I actually thought I saw a car reversing towards me (it was actually stationary!!!) that I thought I might be pushing it too far. I reluctantly got off the bike & caught the next Sweep vehicle to camp. I had completed 80-85kms. Bitterly disappointed I didn't do the 100kms, but I had pushed myself to my limit.
![]() |
| Day 1 - Check out the gradients of those hills!!! |
![]() |
| See my tent? It's the blue one! |
![]() |
| All the bikes tucked up for the night. |
Then I hit the first hill about 5kms from camp. The pain that shot through my bad ankle nearly took my breath away. I just didn't understand it. My ankle had given me NO pain the day before, and here I was just starting off today & I couldn't push down on the pedal at all. Greg had caught up to me at this time & rode with me a while. I stopped by a medic vehicle to see if they could strap my ankle for extra support, and was surprised when they told me they "don't do strapping". WTF?!?! I pushed on, but not much further I had to stop. And then it started. The tears. The uncontrollable sobbing. I was going to do this 100kms today, and here I was 5-10kms into it and unable to go on because of that damn ankle! It broke me. And I must say, I could not believe the compassion of the riders that passed me by, sobbing on the road. Nearly each & every one of them asked if I was okay. It was so uplifting to me to see how generous the human spirit can be. Dozens of gorgeous people who will never know how much there comments of "Are you okay?" meant to me. I was picked up by a Sweep vehicle and taken to the first Pit Stop, where I visited the Medic tent, to be told again that they "don't do strapping". How is it, on a bike ride where riders get sore knees, ankles, etc that the medics are not able to strap up knees and ankles? It's beyond me. I had met up with my team again, and Greg tried to convince me to get in a sweep vehicle again & be taken to the next stop, but I wanted to push on & see how I went. I took some anti inflammatory tablets, and set off again on the bike.
![]() |
| One of the smaller hills |
It was on that journey between pit stops that I decided to give the last 50kms of the ride all I had left. I didn't care if I couldn't walk on my ankle for the next week or so, I was going to do it. The worst of the hills were behind me, they had beaten me, but I would not let the rest of the ride get the better of me. Even if I was the last rider through, I would do it. So, at the next rest stop, I had a toilet break, and got straight back on that bike. I was going to finish this!!!
There were many times on this 25kms stretch that I had to walk my bike up a hill. There were also many times that tears got the better of me. I was so angry by the mistake of the sweep vehicle taking me backwards, and costing me a couple of hours, when I could have been ahead of my team mates so they would have caught up to me and we could cross the finish line together. I was also elated when I saw people cheering on the street, and it again brought me to tears that people thought we were doing a fantastic thing, which we really were. There were also tears of frustration that my body had given up on me earlier in the day. Why had my ankle let me down? I know I was putting it through enormous pressure, especially with the walking up steep hills, but I just thought it would have held up better. So many emotions running through me, which I definitely wasn't expecting.
I arrived at the Lunch Stop at 75kms, and was overjoyed I had at least completed one full leg of the day's ride. I knew that if I couldn't complete the rest of the day, at least I could be proud of the fact I did one whole section. I gave myself only 15mins to have a quick bite to eat, and a toilet break. One of my team members had just left lunch as I was getting there, so I wanted to be as quick as possible, so back on the bike for me!
![]() |
| Day 2 |
Greg and I had been texting each other throughout the 2 days, just so I could see how far ahead he was of me, but mostly so I knew he was safe, and vice versa. There were many accidents on the ride, with cyclists being hit by cars or other riders, and one serious accident of a rider going too fast downhill, hitting a pothole, and landing on his head. Some of the roads on the route were especially dangerous, with no bike lanes, and no shoulder on the road to ride on. We were literally riding on the narrow roads, sharing the narrow lane with cars and some motorists just had no patience, and it was extremely dangerous at times. As a driver, I know how frustrating cyclists can be when riding 3 or 4 abreast on the road, but these drivers had to realise that many of us were just average Joes out to make a difference for cancer. We are not cyclists who intentionally wanted to piss off motorists. We were mothers, grandmothers, Dads, uncles, friends, cousins, brothers, sisters, who were just trying to do some good & raise some money. It made me so angry that many motorists (most especially ignorant P Platers) would intentionally drive so close to cyclists, beep their horns, rev their engines or even hang out the windows yelling abuse at us.
| Riding in to the very last pit stop |
I quickly sculled a bottle of orange juice, had a toilet break & off we headed together for the last 12kms of the ride. This was the easy section along the bike path of the Yarra River, and into the Melbourne CBD to the finish at Albert Park Lake. Why was it then, that every single part of my body screamed that it couldn't go on? My fingers & wrists started cramping, my toes were numb, my "seat" was burning and chaffing. My ankle screamed at me to stop. I equated this to the feeling you get when you get home from a long drive and all of a sudden you have that unbearable urge to go to the toilet. I knew that we were so close, and my body was telling me enough. Once again the tears came, and as I struggled to ride along behind Greg, I battled with my mind to overcome this. Where was my second wind? The extra energy that you usually get when you get to the finish? Fortunately I found it with about 1km to go, and over the finish line we went. What an amazing achievement!
![]() |
| Finished!!!! |
![]() |
| Team Fighting Back with Tracey & Corrina - We did it!!! |
We conquered the Ride to Conquer Cancer. And yes, I've signed up for next year!!! AS A VOLUNTEER!!!

>








You are awesome and what you did is amazing. Don't ever feel disappointed because your body gave out, because most people with your injury would never have tried. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for and I am so proud of you.
ReplyDeleteJules, what an incredible experience and thank you so much for sharing because I really enjoyed reading about it. I am in awe of everyone who did this ride for such a great cause. For me at this point, I have far too much fear and self doubt to even consider attempting such a huge challenge. Be very proud of yourself because what you have done is nothing short of amazing!
ReplyDeleteJules - I am in tears reading this!!! We all have our own version of the 200kms and to now understand what you had to go through to ride over that line is just remarkable.
ReplyDeleteI need you to change one thing though - YOU DID COMPLETE THE RIDE TO CONQUER CANCER!!! You put your body, your mind, your emotions ... everything you had to get through those 200kms. Some of us rode it - you killed it. It tried to get you, but you fought back and taught it who was boss!
I am so proud of you for what you did. And next year - I will ride that 200kms by your side.