Thursday, August 22, 2013

Numbers Don't Define Me

I started this blog post yesterday, but as usual, got sidetracked & have finally come back to it 24 hours later.  Yesterday was weigh in day, and I recorded a loss of 700gms.  Disappointing, as I was expecting more, but then I read my friend Jan's blog post about numbers on a scale not defining us, and of course she is right.  I look forward to the day I don't have to worry about the scales, and I can judge my weight on how I feel in my clothes, and how clean & nutritious the food is I eat.  That day will come.  Until then, I will record my results by the scale, but I will always keep in mind all the other ways I am currently recording my achievements.

At the moment, I am spending a lot of time on the bike.  Mondays, Wednesday & Thursdays, it is my big priority to get out on the bike because I don't have kids at home those mornings.  And if I can't get on the bike due to weather or the like, I am one grumpy bitch.  I feel a pang of envy when I see cyclists out on the road, or when friends on Facebook post they are out on a ride.  Does this mean I've found my passion?  I gave this a lot of thought yesterday.  I will never be able to run, no matter how much I would like to.  So maybe cycling is my "thing".  It's something I truly love & enjoy, and it's something I am striving at getting better at.  I constantly push myself to get faster, to go harder, to be stronger on the bike.  And I love it.

Monday's 52km Ride
So it brings me to last weekend.  Greg went off to partake in his first Ride to Conquer Cancer in Brisbane.  He is part of the Vision Crusaders Grand Slam Team, who are doing all six RTCC - 5 across Australia & one in Auckland.   The amazing thing with this is not only doing the rides, but each member of the team has to raise $15000 to do the rides!  All in the name of cancer research!  Pretty bloody amazing!

So Greg & the team went off to do the ride, and after sharing in Greg's excitement in the weeks leading up to it, I was left feeling a little bit flat.  I wanted to be there doing this with him.  And if not riding with him, at least cheering him on at the start & finish lines.

How amazing was it that some Brisbane 12wbt friends of ours got up early that morning to see him off.  Armed with a big poster of support, and some little letters for him to read throughout the ride, they were there in place of his family back home to send him off with a cheer.  Thank you Kate & Courtney xx

Kate, Greg & Courtney
So Greg had a pretty amazing weekend away.  And I felt out of the loop all weekend - we share everything, do everything together, and here I was left on the outer.  It was hard not getting regular updates as well.

On his return, Greg & I discussed the last Vision Crusaders ride in Adelaide.  We are driving over for it, and Greg mentioned he didn't want to take the kids because being the last ride, there'd be a big party to celebrate.  But of course, no kids on the weekend, what would I do with myself?  Why not ride?  So, I did it!  I signed up to the Ride to Conquer Cancer in Adelaide!  If I could get more sponsorship, I'd sign up for more, but for the moment, I'll settle with the two rides I am doing!

So, I agree!  It's not all about the scales.  It's about living.  It's about dreaming big.  It's about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone.  It's about making a difference.  And if the scales move downwards to help me feel better about myself at the same time, then that's just an added bonus!

1 comment:

  1. <3 Cycling is definitely your thing Jules. You are very passionate about hitting the roads and your eyes light up every time you talk about going for a ride unlike when the word strength training is mentioned ;)

    We will raise the money required for you to head to Adelaide. Everyone who eats a sausage will taste our passion for you to achieve your fundraising goals...

    ReplyDelete