Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Would You Shave Your Head??

Hubby came home today from work & asked me the question "Would you shave your head for $5000?".  I quickly answered that I would not.  A friend of ours, who is also a member of "Team Fighting Back" for our Ride to Conquer Cancer next year has decided she will shave her head if she raises $5000 for the ride.  She's a gorgeous girl, and definitely would still look stunning with a bald head.

I've had a shit of a day today with feeling unwell & dizzy.  I had a bit of an upset tummy this morning, and felt a bit faint on a couple of occasions, so all day I've been feeling very sad & sorry for myself.  I've been tidying up after dinner & washing the dishes, which gave me some quiet time to think to myself (funny how everyone disappears when it's time to clear up after dinner!).  Why wouldn't I shave my head?  I don't think of myself as vain in any way, but I do like that I have long hair.  I always wear it up every day, but when I go out (on those rare occasions!) I make a special effort to make sure my hair looks nice.  And I've been growing it for ages, so it would be devastating to cut it all off.

But what about those that don't have a choice.  Those undergoing chemo who lose their hair.  Small children, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, friends, lovers, who go through the agony of their hair falling out.  I remember so clearly Jim Stynes in his documentary about his cancer battle "Every Heart Beats True", and when his hair started to fall out he shaved his head.  His son shaved his as well to be just like Dad.  Beautiful & touching.


I really don't want to shave my head.  But what if I could raise $10,000 for Peter Mac?  Peter Mac where my Dad is currently receiving chemo.  Would I do it then?  You better believe it!  So, now I've put it in writing, I have to go through with it.  If I raise $10,000 for the Ride to Conquer Cancer, benefiting Peter Mac, I will shave my head.  God help me!

If you'd like to get the ball rolling, you can donate here:- Julie's Ride to Conquer Cancer 2013

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is awesome! Hope you get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:03 pm

    Legend! Will donate later!

    F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, dead set you are an absolute inspiration. Wow. I'm speechless and very proud of you.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing!! Love your work xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you. It's only hair. It will grow back. Remind me again in march when I am back to work and I will donate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:24 pm

    Why are you inactive on 12wbt now?! Fiona.

    ReplyDelete