Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Bolt of Lightening


I remember the day when it struck me that I was really overweight.  It was the 26th April 2006 & a little boy at my daughter's Kinder asked me why I was so fat.  I knew I was overweight, but it really didn't dawn on me until that moment that I needed to do something about it.

It was like a lightening bolt had hit me.

I've been off track with weight loss numerous times.  And every now & then a lightening bolt will hit & it will kick me back into gear.

Like in May 2012, when my bestie Jenny mentioned the 12wbt, and I looked it up & decided to give it a go.  It was full steam ahead, and in those first 3 months I lost nearly 18kgs!

Since then it's been a roller coaster ride of being off and on track.

And then today another lightening bolt struck me.

It was a freezing rainy Melbourne day, and I went for a short 25km bike ride to the beach with a couple of lovely training buddies, Karen & Vasso.  Of course, once we reached the beach, we stopped at my usual little cafe for a coffee hit.  The thing I like about this quaint little cafe is that it is an open air cafe, and they have blankets for your lap when it is cold outdoors.  To our surprise today, the owner brought us out hot water bottles, bless her.
Coffee with our blankies & water bottles!

Whilst sitting there warming up, we discussed who was doing the next round of 12wbt, or what we would be doing if we weren't signing up again.  Vasso mentioned she was doing a challenge at her gym with a Personal trainer, and she suggested I might like to do something similar.  I said "I don't want a personal trainer.  I can do this on my own".  And Vasso replied "But obviously you're not".
Now, she didn't say this rudely, or cruelly.  She was truthful & to the point, and I will be honest, her comment took me aback.  I sat there and thought about what she had just said, and it made me angry.  Not at her for what she had said, but at me, for making her think that.

So many people have watched me come this far over the last 12 months, and now am I going to let them watch me fail?  Am I going to let them watch me put back on all the weight I've lost?  Am I going to let them see me transform  into the unhappy shell of a person I was before?  Am I going to let my children down by becoming an unhealthy role model & a disappointment to them?  Am I going to fail Greg by not being a supportive partner & continue to sabotage our health & fitness goals?

The answer is NO!

The lightening bolt has struck again.

Thank you Vasso.  Without even realising it, your one small comment has given me the motivation to get back on track again.  It was just what I was waiting for.  It was what I needed to hear.  It was what made me come home & track the calories I had eaten on My Fitness Pal.

No more eating & drinking my feelings.

Onwards & downwards....




2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:19 pm

    you go girl! You beat that lightening bolt!
    I know you can do it!
    Chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:50 am

    Glad you had your lightning bold moment. You got this -- OWN IT! xx Kyla

    ReplyDelete