Saturday, April 06, 2013

No Regrets

We've been away on our Easter break to Cobram.  It started off well, with glorious sunny weather, great relaxation time, and lots of time to get plenty of exercise done.  I actually didn't miss not drinking alcohol on our holiday, which was something I was worried about.


Easter was indulgent, and although I hadn't planned on being "naughty", indeed I was.  Very naughty indeed.  Chocolate, it seems, is my nemesis, especially when TTOM (That Time Of the Month) is looming!  Aidan became sick over the last 5 days of our holiday, which resulted in no exercising time for me.  All this added up to a gain of a kilo on the scales come weigh in day.  That triple figure of 100kgs is looming too close for my liking!  Time to get back into the saddle.

So, yes, I have been feeling 'regretful' about my choice over the week away.  Two nights of eating at buffet style dinners with large portions on my plate (including desserts!), and a dinner of Chinese takeaway.  But, of course, it is only one week out of the rest of my life.

The old saying of "no regrets" has been spinning around in my head for a few days.  It is hard not to have regrets.  Some of the things I would think that I regret are:-
  1. Getting my hair permed when I was 16
  2. Wearing that blue taffeta dress to a ball when I was 15
  3. Breaking the heart of Lennie when I was 17 - such a gorgeous bloke who didn't deserve me being such a bitch to him
  4. Not buying a house when I had an opportunity to at the age of 24, and then at 27, instead of squandering my money away!
  5. Not staying in London on my first trip to the UK.  I had a British passport & no reason not to - except for my dog Daisy, for who I came home.
  6. Quitting my Credit Job after 8 years at the sugar refinery at the age of 25 - so close to long service leave & such a great job for someone at my age.
  7. Not stopping before leaving work for the toilet even though I was busting to go, on that fateful night in July 2005.  If I had of stopped to go to the toilet, I would have missed the head on collision with the drunk driver.
There are dozens of others I can think of, too numerous to list of course.  But I could offer up the argument that I don't regret any of these events because:-
  1. Had I not had a perm, I wouldn't have known how bad my hair looked with a spiral curl
  2. I wouldn't have been "in" without that blue taffeta dress, which was all the rage when I was 15
  3. If I hadn't broken up with him, Lennie would have been stuck with someone who treated him like shit, instead of someone who deserved his kind heart
  4. Buying a house, I would have spent all my money on a mortgage & not travelled overseas
  5. Planting my roots in London, I wouldn't have come home from my UK holiday to a new job, where I met Greg!!!
  6. As above, not quitting my sugar refinery job, would have meant I wouldn't have the new job where I met Greg!
  7. Without the head on collision, I wouldn't have been given a new appreciation for how precious life is!  And the old saying about your life flashing before your eyes is absolutely true!
By far, the one thing I can say that I may regret at this very moment in my life is that I didn't start the 12wbt sooner.  But that is something I can't change, so maybe it is true I don't really have any regrets.  Live in the "now", not looking back on what could have been.  I will make sure I live with no regrets!!



1 comment:

  1. You know Julie, chocolate isn't going to disappear off the face of the earth, and I for one don't intend never to have a chocolate for the rest of my life, same as enjoying yourself on holidays. Do it, own it, don't regret it, move on stronger, and I say stronger, because you're still with the program. Perhaps the old Julie would have had a blow out and thrown in the towel? I don't know. But this Julie comes back better and more determined.

    Oh and what on earth is with the blue dress huh? My 21st outfit consisted of an electric blue shirt with a shiny (SHINY) pleated blue skirt, not to mention the white lace pantyhose and white shoes! Oh Lordy Lord shoot me now!

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete