I was a bit disappointed with my weigh last Wednesday - 99.3kgs. A loss of 600gms. Yeah sure, a loss is a loss, but I still felt disappointed after a week of pretty perfect nutrition & good exercise. Sure, I had an extra couple of rest days during the week, but I had stuck to my guns about not eating after dinner. My ONLY downfall for the week, and it was a little one, was that I had a couple of extra skinny lattes on the weekend from our coffee machine. Greg reminds me that it can sometimes take a week for the scales to catch up, which is definitely true, so I just have to keep doing what I'm doing.
However, I've had a few good reminders over the last week about non-scale wins. Here's a run down of them...
- I went for a 45km bike ride with a friend who I consider to be fit. But she struggled, and it took us 4 1/2 hours to do a ride that would usually take me less than 2 hours. It made me remember back to when I had struggled to ride 8kms only 12 months ago, and how much my bike fitness has improved. I am so overwhelmed with pride at how far I've come (and how fast I am on the bike now!)
- My engagement ring flew off my finger last night in the car. I can't wear it or my wedding band anymore for fear of losing them. Will get them resized when I am at goal.
- On a plane on the weekend, I realised I had a huge overlap of the seatbelt, and it was comfortable. I remember I had to get a seat belt extension for our flight to Malaysia years ago. No more squashing into airline seats & overflowing onto the seats beside me. No more struggling to get the seatbelt done up! *Big fist pump!!*
- Being on a weekend away with Greg, I realised that we now ALWAYS make wise food choices when out & about. It's just what we prefer to do! And we flew interstate with all our snacks packed so we wouldn't be caught out. We are actually LIVING this life now! And loving it!
- And whilst on the weekend away, we chose to spend Saturday doing the walk from Maroubra to Bronte Beach, just because we could!
- My fitness just keeps improving, and I can do things I only dreamed of - like tricep dips. Yep, I can do them now (and no, I don't like them!!!)
- I am actually looking for fun runs/walks that we can do as a family. If I see one advertised I check the dates, my work roster, Greg's availability & if we can actually do it as a family. Who is this woman?? The new ME!!!
- I have collar bones!

An amazing 10km walk we did on Saturday!
Wedding Anniversary Lunch at Doyle's in Watsons Bay
So, a great little list of things that actually remind me why I am doing this, how far I've come in 10 months, and how great the future is for us.
I've been sitting here drinking my new love, Lady Grey tea. Move over Green tea, there's a new boss in town! Delicious! Apparently Nigella used to promote it. I love my coffee, but there is something therapeutic about a nice cup of tea in the afternoon & evening. I'm looking forward to my cold winter evenings with my uggs boots on, and a nice cuppa in hand. I definitely prefer Summer, but Winter is great for good nutrition with yummy hearty soups & casseroles for dinner - delish! Can't wait!
Anyway, I digress.... I am sitting here with my cuppa, and have just had a read back on my blog to June 2012, when we started on the 12wbt. I can't believe what a grumpy emotional troll I was!!! I remember that very first week & how hard it was, and that the first night it took me over 2 hours to burn 500 calories & I was a sobbing helpless mess, thinking that the program was a farce!
I will be forever grateful to the "guru" Michelle Bridges, for attempting to do something so major as tackle Australia's obesity crisis. I'm thankful for my bestie Jenny who told me about the 12wbt & said it was this amazing new program that seemed "right", and her encouragement since the very start. And of course, I'll be forever thankful for the support I get from Greg, who I couldn't have done this without! Together we're a force to be reckoned with!

>
You are doing an amazing job and when it gets tough you think of how far you have come and what you have achieved. Who would have thought we would have went for a 10km walk in 30 degree heat over a beer garden and lots of cold pints last year!!!!!
ReplyDeleteJulie, what a happy happy post to read. The little things are surely the big things. I too can't wear my wedding/engagement or anniversary ring on my ring finger, they are firmly planted on my middle fingers. Like, you until I get to goal. I think back to days when I'd have to hold my arm up in the air so the blood would drain from my fingers just so I could get them off of a night. Crazy stuff.
ReplyDeleteWhat a terrific weekend you've had in Sydney. It's great to think about what makes you happy now, a good meal, a great day out, fresh air, exercising, and you feel to the brim of happiness. Happy Anniversary to you both.
Carol
www.finding-carol.blogspot.com