Monday, January 28, 2013

My First Mini Triathlon


The triathletes
Yesterday we were up at sparrow's fart (5am) and off to Albert Park Lake for the Pink Triathlon, all in support for the Breast Cancer Foundation.  The day started off with plenty of rain, but it thankfully cleared for us.  Paige took part in the Kids' Tri and she did so well for her first time.  It was so cute to see her get so nervous!  Unfortunately she had to walk the run leg of the race, as she had a stitch (or in her words "I'm dying").  She was pleased as punch with her medal.

Paige crossing the finish line
Dayna, Bec, and Nicole, all fellow 12wbters and girls we work out with regularly participated in the long course of the Tri, as well as Rachel and other 12wbters, and they all smashed it!  So very very proud of them!

It was then time for my short course Tri, and I must admit I felt ridiculous standing there ready to get into the water of the pool.  I am a terrible swimmer, so this was the leg of the race I was dreading.  It was nice to be in the company of other women of all ages & sizes, but I still felt like a fool for even thinking I could attempt this.  After a less than graceful entry to the pool, I struggled with swimming amongst so many people.  I kept kicking people & gulping down water.  It wasn't until I was about to get out of the pool that I realised I had entered the water as one of the first in the group, but I was getting out the water one of the last.

Smiling, not drowing

Note to self - LEARN TO SWIM PROPERLY!!!  I am going to get swimming lessons for myself this year!!!

I walked/jogged to the transition area & dried myself and changed my clothes.  It was then on to the bike - the one part of the leg I was confident I could smash it in.  How wrong I was.  Having sold my bike last week, I was on a borrowed bike, but unfortunately the gears didn't work & it was stuck in a low gear. My legs were going a million miles an hour & I just couldn't get up a good pace at all.  It was so disheartening as everyone passed me and I almost felt like giving up at that stage.  Greg and the two older kids were there cheering me on & supporting me which lifted my spirits as I finally came into the next transition stage from bike to run.

ARGH no gears!
I knew I wouldn't be very good in this leg of the race because of my ankle, but my breathing was good and I joffled (jogged/shuffled) along the track, with Callum running along side me for support.  Unfortunately I got a stitch that I tried to walk out, but it just wasn't easing, so I kept jogging, walking, jogging until the finish line.  I kept repeating to myself over & over "How much do you want this?" I crossed the line - I had done it!  I had finished!  Who would have thought 6 years ago, when I was unsure whether I would be able to walk unaided after the car accident, that I would be competing in a mini tri!!!

Dayna, Bec, Me, Rachel, Nicole and Paige
I was disappointed in my overall performance.  I hadn't trained for it, and I know I should have.  But it's a starting point, and now I know what to expect.  I will learn to swim this year.  I will have a new bike soon (I've put it on layby already), and I will be 30+kgs lighter next year than I am this year.  I will do the long course in 2014 and I will smash it.

Just call me Triathlete!  haha!!!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:05 pm

    well done Jules - you did it!!!
    Chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:00 pm

    Great post BUT, I am disappointed in You writing "I am disappointed In my overall performance". You have nothing to be disappointed about. You got out there, gave it a shot and crossed the finished line, and you WON. You might not have had the fastest time but you won in a lot of other ways. Very proud of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing Triathlete Jules... So proud of you!! You stepped outside your comfort zone and kicked arse can't wait to tri beside you next year...

    ReplyDelete