Monday, January 21, 2013

It Doesn't Rain, It Pours....

...or that's how I am feeling at the moment in regards to my health.  The period before Christmas was just a blur to me, and I have started feeling guilty about the fact I did not enjoy the Christmas period with the kids as much as I usually do.  Because of the Ross River Virus, I didn't get to take them into the city to see the Myer Melbourne Christmas Windows.  I didn't get to take them to ride the Christmas train & see Santa (instead Santa photo was done at our local shopping centre).  They didn't see the Christmas decorations and lights around the city of Melbourne.  I just didn't have the usual Christmas "joy" I have because I was sick, and I feel so very guilty for not making it a magical time for the kids as I do every Christmas.  Ah, the joys of "Mummy guilt"!!!

Brush your teeth kids!
The gum with the big hole!!!
Then I broke a tooth, and mixed with fear of the dentist, and the dread of the cost associated with it, I put off the inevitable trip to the dentist until we returned from holidays last week.  The 2 weeks of holidays were spent in constant pain as the hole in the tooth grew & the nerve became exposed.  I was happy to have the tooth removed and looked forward to no more tooth pain.  How wrong I was!  I ended up with a "Dry Socket" (alveolar osteitis) where the blood does not clot & heal the gum and the jaw bone is left exposed.  ARGH the pain!!!!   However, today I made sure I was at the dentist the moment it opened, and all should be on the mend now.

And I hereby rule the rest of 2013 as a HEALTHY and FIT one for me!!!!!

I've been going great guns with the 12wbt the last week and the scales are showing my great work.  I may just make that double digits goal by Brisbane!!!  WHOO HOO!  I've worked the last 4 days, but managed to exercise most days & push myself really hard.  Both Greg and I are off the wine, and although I can't say I don't miss it (nothing beats a nice cold glass of white when the kids are in bed), I am enjoying being back in the "zone".  It was nice to return to work after 3 weeks away & have people commenting on how much weight I've lost.  Little do they realise I haven't really lost anything since they've last seen me, but it must make an absence for them to "really" see the weightloss that has been before their eyes all along.

Hello Baby!!!!
Last week saw the return of the "Accelerator Day" to the 12wbt.  Mish introduces this day into the last 3 weeks of the round to give weight loss a little boost.   It's a day of no carbs and no fruit.  It's on the Tuesday of the rounds, but quite surprisingly both Greg and I have not seen any benefit to it over the last 2 rounds we've done.  We've actually seen the scales drop a day later on the Thursday, so this round we've decided that we'll give it a go doing our Accelerator Day on a Monday so I will let you know of the results.  We didn't do it last week due to being on holidays.  Today we have bacon, eggs, baked beans & tomato for brekkie, Salad & tuna for lunch, and a bunless burger (burger on a field mushroom) for dinner.

After using the xtrainer at the gym on holidays, I realised how much I really love it, so spent a day cleaning out our study that had become a dumping ground over the Christmas/new year period.  Time to rekindle my relationship with my darling xtrainer!

Next Sunday is the Pinky Tri.  I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I signed up for this!  I am doing the short course, which is a 100m swim, 3km ride & 1km run.  Seriously, not a long distance at all.  The ride & run I am not worried about, but the swim really has me nervous - I am so not a swimmer! And then of course I have the worry about what I am going to wear to swim in!?!?!?  Geez!!

So, a busy week of exercise, good clean eating & kids on holidays.

Onwards & downwards.....

2 comments:

  1. OMG Julie, I feel the pain! I have an irrational fear of dentists too. I got brave a couple of years ago and needed a molar out and spent an hour in the chair with her pushing and pulling only to have it break! Then I had to go to a dental surgeon to have my gum cut open to get the roots. So the fear for me is only heightened now. I hope you feel a lot better soon. What a design flaw teeth are huh?

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:10 pm

    Hi Julie! I'm doing the short course as well on Sunday and I am also really nervous about the swim... I did go swimming for a new outfit for the pink tri so that I don't have to put on or take off clothes during the triathlon! Best of luck for Sunday!
    Daniella

    ReplyDelete