Last weekend was one of the worst couple of days I have had for a long while. I was in extreme pain & spent a lot of the time in tears, and when I wasn't in tears I was in bed sleeping ALL DAY LONG! Unfortunately I can't take any strong pain killers due to breastfeeding! The problem area was not the incision itself, but the area all around it to one side, which was where the bone nearly came through the skin originally at the time of the injury.
I was really angry at myself for having the surgery & putting myself & my family through the hassle of it all, but now that I have improved since then, I am thinking that hopefully there will be a light at the end of the tunnel, and my ankle may eventually improve & I may be able to some day in the future have ONE day where I don't feel any ankle pain at all!
I had an update with my doctor last Tuesday (a week after surgery). The nurse came in before him to change the dressing, and I nearly vomited from the pain of it, not to mention how the blood popped out of the incision! I was used to how my leg looked with my scar and was horrifed to see it all raw again! It was a terrible moment! When I explained the pain & stress of the past weekend to the doctor & how it was not the incision giving me the greatest pain, but the section of skin beside it, he explained that because they had to pull the flap of skin open to get to the ankle joint, it had obviously inflamed the areas that were previously a problem for me.
I am back at the physio next week to get the ankle moving. NOT looking forward to the pain of that at all. And I am also going to attend Weight Watcher NO MATTER WHAT as I am so off track when I am not accountable (especially with the wine & evening snacks), although I don't think I have gained anything (fingers crossed).
I had an update with my doctor last Tuesday (a week after surgery). The nurse came in before him to change the dressing, and I nearly vomited from the pain of it, not to mention how the blood popped out of the incision! I was used to how my leg looked with my scar and was horrifed to see it all raw again! It was a terrible moment! When I explained the pain & stress of the past weekend to the doctor & how it was not the incision giving me the greatest pain, but the section of skin beside it, he explained that because they had to pull the flap of skin open to get to the ankle joint, it had obviously inflamed the areas that were previously a problem for me.
I am back at the physio next week to get the ankle moving. NOT looking forward to the pain of that at all. And I am also going to attend Weight Watcher NO MATTER WHAT as I am so off track when I am not accountable (especially with the wine & evening snacks), although I don't think I have gained anything (fingers crossed).
Sooooooooo, I have been at home over the school/Kinder holidays with the kids and have been housebound & unable to walk! Fortunately my Mum has been fantastic as always, and has had the kids overnight a few times, and has taken them out heaps. The kids have been great helps to me, especially helping with Owen, God bless them! I am not looking forward to next week when we are back into school, kinder, swimming lessons, ballet, etc!!! Greg has been the most wonderful husband - he has been working a full day at work, then coming home cooking dinner, bathing the kids, washing the dishes, then tidying up, as well as doing the groceries & any other running around that needs to be done. I am a very lucky woman to have such a wonderful man, and such beautiful, helpful kids!
By the way, Owen turned 4 months old on Thursday - Happy Birthday to him!!! He's just such an incredible little darling!
Below are photos of my poor ankle. The first one taken about 5 days after surgery, the next photo taken (by Paige, aged 4!) after a week & my dressing has been changed. The sorest spot of all is that little dark patch of skin that is visible (where the bone nearly came through when I had the car crash 2 years ago). That patch of skin has blistered and is extremely painful to touch!


>
Glad to hear that you're resting lots and on the road to recovery! It's definitely at times like this that we realise how lucky we are to have the people closest to us.
ReplyDelete