Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Home From Ankle Surgery... Ouch!

Yesterday I had the long awaited surgery on my ankle to remove metal ware. It apparently went very well, and I was able to come home the same day at my request due to breastfeeding Owen. I was told I could feed him straight away after the surgery, so I thought I might as well come home & do that, rather than being up all night expressing at the hospital anyway. We now have a stockpile of breast milk in the freezer that wasn't needed after all!!!
The downside of my surgery was that I had an arthroscope (camera) to look at the damage in my ankle joint. The surgeon informed me that the cartilage in my ankle is very badly cracked, and unfortunately that is something that cannot be repaired, so it will give me terrible grief on the long term with severe arthritis. Of course that is something I did not want to hear, but I have to now concentrate on the short term and make the most of my recovery now & also look at ways I can prepare for what is to come in the future.
Last night's sleep was a terribly broken one, as I found it difficult to get comfortable with my leg elevated on a pillow & beanbag. I have to have rest for the next fortnight, and keep the leg up at all times. Today was a lot more painful, but I rested as much as possible.
Have had a couple of days of "comfort" eating - Thai green curry last night for dinner, McDonald's burger & chips for lunch today, and chocolate tonight in front of the TV. However, tomorrow I am back into it 100%.
Onwards & downwards .... with lots of rest....

1 comment: