Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Fat, Fucked & Forty-One

Love this!  haha!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! 

What a whirlwind silly season it's been, but so much better than the last one when I was suffering with Ross River Fever and spent my days in bed.  It's been lovely to spend so much time at home with the out of work husband as well - I think the kids have really enjoyed it, especially our youngest who has benefited the most out of having one on one time with Dad while the others have been at school.

Christmas was bloody awesome & the kids were very spoiled.  We had a beautiful Christmas eve & Christmas day with our families, and did the usual family things like a photo with Santa & attend Christmas Carols in the park.

The Grinch & Moi
So, it's a new year, and I have been waiting for the 1st of January for one main reason - to go alcohol free.  I set that date a while ago, and although pressured from others to "just start now", this was the date I had firmly implanted in my head and was the date that I wanted to start from.

Happy New Year Photo bomb by Aidan
So although I'm not setting any New Year resolutions, I have set myself some New Me Resolutions.  This is not about starting a new year, or committing to something for a year.  It's about me moving on from my downward path the last few months, and moving forward to a healthier me, forever. 

So I set myself these New Me Resolutions earlier in the week:

1. Follow 12wbt like a newbie.  Go back to the very roots of it, and follow the plan.  It works.
My lovely swollen ankle at the physio
2. Get moving again.  Injury, particularly with my heels has derailed me big time.  I can't even go for a walk on my breaks at work which is a real shit.  But I'll just have to do what I can & not let it get me down.  No excuses, 6 days a week.
3. The big one.  Alcohol.  It causes me to overeat (a hell of a lot), to sleep extremely badly with waking through the night for hours on end, and to feel overall shit the next day.  This is turn causes me to skip meals, to not exercise, and to generally feel crap, and then do it all over again.  So from January 1st we are becoming an alcohol free house.  I plan on drinking when on holiday or on very special occasions (out of our house), but for the moment I am taking it one month at a time.  January will be alcohol free without a doubt.
4. I will get back to tracking in My Fitness Pal.  All the calories consumed and all the exercise calories burned. I despise tracking in MFP, but it will keep me accountable.
5. Instead of burying my head in the sand when things get tough, I will use my awesome supportive friends (yes, you know who you are!!) to help me out.  I've warned them this will be happening as I know I will struggle from time to time.

It's hard for me to set specific fitness goals with my injuries at the moment, but I will just take it one week at a time.  We have the Colour Run in March that we are doing with the kids, so I hope to be pain free in my feet by then.  Greg and I are working out twice a week with a PT and I absolutely love, love, love it.  So we'll be continuing a wee bit longer with that and hopefully Greg will be employed soon so we can afford to continue with it indefinitely.

The only other fitness goals I have set is for the Brisbane Ride to Conquer Cancer in August and the Melbourne ride in October.  The Brisbane route is apparently a hilly one, so I plan on building my bike fitness and adding hill training before then, if my ankle holds out.

The key to success
And my word or motto for 2014 and beyond will be "consistency".  It is the key to all success, whether health or fitness related, or in life in general.  Thanks to the lovely Dayna for creating this picture for me.

Lots to look forward to this year, and to be thankful for.  And here's to being fit, fantastic & forty-two!!!

Starting the year with delicious healthy food & movement.

1 comment:

  1. OhJules your ankle! I'm feeling pain just imagining it. So glad you had a great Christmas but yes new year and new resolve for us all. Good luck with the alcohol. I'm lucky in that respect I can take it or leave it, 99% of the time I leave it. So wishing you all the best on that front. Happy New Year.

    Carol / www.finding-carol.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete