
The event I've been waiting 12 months for finally arrived. I wanted to to conquer this. It was unfinished business since I didn't complete the whole route last year. I had been training for it, and wasn't concerned about any hills, as I knew it was a pretty flat course ahead.
My weekend started with the arrival of some Vision Crusaders from Queensland at house for dinner and a bed on Thursday. We also picked up a third Qld VC from the airport late Thursday night - after Greg accidentally went to the wrong airport!!! Friday morning I did an airport run to pick up 2 more Qld Crusaders who were spending the night as well. It was a busy day of organising kids, and running around, and by Friday afternoon I was stuffed! We then had 16 people over for a carb loading dinner Friday night. It was a great night to meet some Vision Crusaders I've never met, and get to know those I'd met a little bit better.
 |
| I rode for my Dad & my friend Helen in New Zealand |
Saturday morning rolled around & we were up bright & early to get to Albert Park and meet the rest of the team. We were riding with our home team Fighting Back, and also the Vision Crusaders Grand Slam. The morning was fresh, but thankfully there wasn't any rain, which was what we expected.
 |
| Greg, Dayna, Scott, Julie & myself ready to ride |
At 8am we headed off on our way to Hastings. The ride was a lovely flat one, out along beautiful Beach Rd. There were a few hills along the way, but nothing like the hills of the 2012 course. Dayna & I rolled into camp about 2.30pm. The queue for the showers was long (and we heard they were cold), so a "Rexona shower" was in order, as was a cold beer. The afternoon at camp was spent chatting, drinking & later on dancing. It was an amazing atmosphere & so awesome to finally share it with Greg.
 |
| Dayna & I after conquering Day 1 |
The next day we were up at 4am, breakfast didn't go down too well after a few too many wines the night before, and we headed off on the road at 6.30am. The old private parts were a bit rough after 104kms the day before, but otherwise, I was feeling pretty awesome.
 |
| The camp ground in Hastings. |
Before this ride, I had made up my mind there was no way I wasn't going to finish it. And I wanted to ride the WHOLE damn thing, hills and all. But with a mistake changing down gears on a particularly steep incline, I feel off the bike, and then couldn't get the momentum back up to keep riding. So I walked up the steepest hill on the whole darn ride, but it was only ONE hill. I wasn't disappointed with my efforts.
 |
| The love of my life! |
The ride was a lovely scenic one on the way home, and I felt awesome. But the highlight of my ride was the last 10-15km of it. I had ridden most of the time on the weekend with Dayna, but left her behind at the lunch stop due to her knee playing up & her having to ice it in the medic tent. I told her I'd ride slowly so she could catch up, which I did, and I also had many breaks waiting for her along the beach on the way home. I didn't realise how held up she was with her knee. I thought I'd get to the last pit stop & wait for her there so we could ride across the line together. I had also asked Greg to wait at the last pit stop for this reason also.
 |
| I did it! |
As I approached the pit stop, the whole Vision Crusaders Grand Slam team were waiting & yelling at me "Don't stop, keep riding", so I did, confused at what the hell was going on. The whole team had stopped and waited to ride across the line with me. They weren't going to leave Greg behind to wait for me, and wanted to do it as a team. It was an awesome experience to ride with all of them, and having ridden last year by myself, and this year partially by myself, it was nice to be a part of that.
We had some 12wbt friends waiting at the finish line & other Vision Crusaders as well & it was exhilarating coming in and completing it. Greg rode out to meet Dayna & Kerry & cross the line with them. Buggered if I was getting back on that bike to do it!
A brilliant weekend, and one I can't wait to do again in Adelaide at the end of November. Bring it on!
SO proud of you! Loved the story xxx
ReplyDelete